5/15/2008

My Baseball All Generation Team


All this talk about fading stars got me thinking about who I thought are the premier players of my generation. Since my first baseball memory consists of my mother crying after Mr. Rios dominated her beloved Bash Brothers, my time line will be from the start of the 1991 season to the current season. Note: I went with a four man rotation because I hate the fact that teams use a five man rotation. That really bothers me for some reason.

C - Ivan Rodriguez - Tough call over Piazza. He is much better defensively.
1B - Albert Pujols - Toughest position to choose from. Yet to have a bad season.
2B - Jeff Kent - Weakest position to choose from.
SS - Alex Rodriguez - Could be the greatest ever if he stays healthy. Sorry Cal.
3B - Chipper Jones - The most overlooked player on my list. Fantastic player.
LF - Barry Bonds - The bottom line: he's a Hall of Famer before 2000.
CF - Ken Griffey Jr - Prettiest swing I've ever seen.
RF - Manny Ramirez - Offensive juggernaut.

Starting Rotation
1. Randy Johnson - He's the Ace because of his performances in the playoffs.
2. Greg Maddox - Not exciting but can't argue with the results.
3. Pedro Martinez - Most intimidating pitcher I ever saw.
4. Tom Glavine - Steady throughout his career.

Cl - Mariano Rivera - One word: Dominant.

2 comments:

The Old Guy said...

A very interesting thought. You covered the basics. I only offer afew exceptions:

+C - Rodriguez: Piazza is the best offensively, but Pudge might be the best defensively ever and swings it pretty good as well.
+1B - Pujols: This generation's Stan Musial. He won't be at the top of any of the all-time lists, but will rank very high on all of them.
+2B - Robby Alomar: The most Gold Gloves of any second baseman (10), hit for an exceptional average, and could steal bases.
+SS - A-Rod: Obvious.
+3B - Chipper: There aren't too many candidates here, but I agree with your assessment. Very underrated.
+LF - Vlad Guerrero: I am shifting him to left for this experiment. One of the most consistent hitters in the league. In his prime he stole a lot of bases and has the best arm I have ever seen.
+CF - Griffey: It is difficult to watch him now as a shell of the player he used to be.
+RF - Manny: The most consistent performer over the last decade.
+Starters:
1. Maddox: The best of this generation.
2. Johnson: Clutch in the playoffs as you said, too bad he won't make 300.
3. Pedro: Despite the injuries, some of the best single seasons for a pitcher in the last 50 years.
4. Glavine: The San Antonio Spurs of pitchers, boring as hell but remarkably consistent.
+Closer - Rivera: Obvious.

Kyle Hampson said...

i forgot about Alomar. I chose Johnson over Maddox just because I couldn't remember a time when he wasn't lights out in the playoffs.